North Wilkesboro, NC asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for North Carolina

Q: I need a good child custody lawyer who is willing to fight using facts against local DSS's deceit and lies...

I live in Wilkes County, North Carolina. The case is also in Wilkes. I will discuss what the case is about in detail upon finding the lawyer I need but it involves a whole lot of hearsay over actual facts. There have been a ridiculous 6 or 7 calls made to DSS, all questionable and none were investigated regardless of my pleas. My kids were removed from a perfectly safe, loving, and clean environment almost a month ago. I have since cooperated with DSS and completed all the overwhelming tasks they have required and I am now waiting in limbo for the adjudication and for a case plan to finally be formed with my new case worker (they keep changing). My two kids are suffering because their lives have been turned upside down and foster care won't let me see or speak with either of them until after court. My oldest is 4 years and my youngest is 2 months old. The baby looks terrible and my 4 YO is miserable. I need a lawyer, not the public defender I was assigned, who is willing to fight.

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Your big mistake was cooperating with DSS. The time to have hired an attorney was prior to making that very bad decision. However, you still need an attorney and ASAP but you need a local attorney. So your best bet is to shop around locally - most of the attorneys here will not be able to assist you in Wilkes County. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.