Millersville, PA asked in Consumer Law and Criminal Law for Maryland

Q: I bought a vehicle from someone who rolled back an odometer. Can I sue them for the full price + repairs for vehicle?

I bought a vehicle from someone in Laurel Maryland (private party) and i have proof from Pennsylvania State Police that the individual rolled back the odometer almost 70,000 miles. After fussing with them back and fourth, they said they will take the car back for ONLY the price I paid them for it, not the $1,100 i spent to make it road worthy (inspection, registration, new tires, swaybar end-links, brakes, labor, etc.) Can I sue them the full amount of the vehicle that i paid ($6100) AND the price of damages of owning and making the car road worthy? This is now my only vehicle and giving them the car back and only getting back $6100 would be a huge setback and stressor for my wife and I.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Eric Todd Kirk
Eric Todd Kirk
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Baltimore, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: That may or may not constitute a crime. You certainly could report it to the applicable state's attorney's office. Your best bet is likely to consult with the Attorney General or an attorney in private civil practice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.