Gaston, SC asked in Consumer Law and Criminal Law for South Carolina

Q: I got a ticket for shoplifting today and have several questions

There is some information on the citation that is incorrect. My birth year is incorrect. There is a court date set, but the ticket has NO circled when it asks if a court date appearance is needed. It is my first offense, and I don't want this on my permanent record. I know it was stupid, but I didn't have the money for what I needed. I'm still young and have to go to college, buy a house, ect. I don't want this one act of stupidity to ruin my future. It was only $100 worth of household supplies. If you can help me, please do! I'm so worried.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan D Templeton
Ryan D Templeton
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Summerville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: I would recommend contacting an attorney in to area to talk about the options. There are diversionary programs that could apply to you to ultimately have you case removed from your criminal record. If you cannot afford a private attorney the public defenders office is available to you as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.