Houston, TX asked in Probate for Texas

Q: My mother died leaving money behind can my sister keep that to herself. My mother wanted it split five ways.

I have proof with a written will my mother left.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: A lot more information is needed to answer your question. If the account was still in your mother's sole name when she died, then it is an asset of her estate and must be distributed according to the terms of her will. A local probate attorney can help you with this.

John Wesley Urquhart
John Wesley Urquhart
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Conroe, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It depends on many factors including whether the will is valid, what the will says, whether there were any designated beneficiaries named on an account, etc. It's best to speak with a probate attorney to review the will and gather more information from you.

Ross F. Tew agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.