Oceanside, CA asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for California

Q: what happens if you Move/Runaway at 17?

My friend is 17 and I am 22. She is unhappy living with her mom and they always argue. She wants to move in with me but she doesn’t think her mom will let her. If she just moves she thinks her mom will call the cops on her for running away. What can they do? Will I get in trouble if she lives with me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Peter Anderson
Stephen Peter Anderson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Santa Maria, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You should be very careful when dealing with a minor. The courts have resources to deal with counseling issues and other avenues to repair child parent relationships. You could call your local Child Welfare Services office and arrange a meeting by the minor and a social worker. Have the minor approach the school and talk to a counselor. They can also direct to the proper agency for assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.