Philadelphia, PA asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Ohio

Q: Would I qualify for tpo, how would a custody battle look? We both signed the BC when son was born. Live together.

Basically the baby was born a month ago. We haven’t been doing well for a while now and last night the mother wanted to argue with me, I told her I didn’t want to argue and she tried to throw stuff at me which I didn’t care about. So she told me that if she throws our newborn across the room maybe it’ll get my attention, durning this same conversation she got a knife and had it in one hand and the baby in another. Later on during the argument she said she would kill the baby and herself. And at one point out a pillow over the baby’s face. I secretly audio recorded all of this. I got her to calm down and she said she didn’t mean any of it. She also said she would hurt my other son (from another relationship) during the argument.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Breezy M Warner
Breezy M Warner
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • New Albany, OH

A: In Ohio if you are unmarried, the mother has sole custody of the child. In order to get custody you will have to prove paternity and file for custody. Due to the violent nature of the above described events, you maybe able to get emergency custody of the child. You should contact a family law attorney to discuss your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.