Houston, TX asked in Family Law, Adoption, Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for Texas

Q: where is the policy for bringing up another lawsuit after one is dismissed

i was thinking it takes a year for family or civil

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Texas attorney is best qualified to answer this question, but you await an answer for three weeks. As a GENERAL premise, if a matter is dismissed on the merits (for something substantive - not something technical such as "this is the wrong court, you must bring your action in a different venue"), it cannot generally be refiled. If a matter is dismissed with prejudice, it cannot generally be refiled.

However, this is only a GENERAL premise. For proper guidance, you MUST consult with a Texas attorney who is knowledgeable in Family Law (or possibly one of the other areas you posted under). You are asking about something which is governed by Texas law and rules of practice. Good luck.

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.