Falls Church, VA asked in Civil Rights, Real Estate Law and Small Claims for Ohio

Q: After the disillusion papers are signed and notarized can my ex-partner come after my house or my money?

We've only been married for 8 months and we have no children together. He was never on the deed to my house.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The separation agreement specifies the terms of division of property, including your house. Since you have questions about the dissolution process to terminate your marriage, and questions about the agreement, you should use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local divorce attorney to review the separation agreement with you, answer your questions, and advise you. If the separation agreement does not adequately protect you, then you should not sign it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.