Washington, DC asked in Car Accidents for Maryland

Q: my father drove my truck was in a accident. I have full coverage he isn't on my policy but has insurance. Am I at fault?

Not sure which driver was at fault. What can I expect from my insurance company or any insurance company. Can I be sued? I'm not sure if I need to notify my insurance company. Both drivers were flown to Shock Trauma. My father needs multiple surgeries for severe broken ankle and leg and other injuries. Not sure about the status of the other driver. What do I need to do? I haven't received a police report because the accident is ongoing as this just happened last night. Please advise asap. Thank you!

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Eric Todd Kirk
Eric Todd Kirk PRO label
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Baltimore, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Call your insurance company and cooperate fully. Best wishes for your father.

Thomas Neary
Thomas Neary
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Catonsville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Sorry about the accident. I pray your father and the other driver are recovering.

You don't have all the details yet so your course of action is not totally set. There are a few things you can do and know at this point.

Generally, if your Dad had permission to drive your truck and there are no exclusions on your policy then he would be a covered driver under your policy. You would report the accident to your insurance company and let them handle his civil defense - if he is at fault.

You are not at fault, generally, unless there is a reason your dad should not have been driving the vehicle or a mechanical problem with the truck that led to the accident. If he just was driving with your permission then the liability issue is generally just with him.

The insurance company will get your truck and see if it can be repaired or is totalled. They also generally start investigating the accident as soon as they are informed - particularly if there are serious injuries.

If your dad is not at fault and the other driver is, he can hire a lawyer to start working on his behalf to get a case against the other driver lined up.

Many lawyers who work in the personal injury field will be happy to do a free consultation to discuss where you stand at this point and see what, if anything can be done.

Definitely get in touch with your insurance company and your dad or you on his behalf may want to speak with your own attorney.

There are lots of unknowns at this point.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.