Washington, DC asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Real Estate Law for Virginia

Q: My fiance/I signed a contract to build a new home. We've both put monies down for the deposit. We are having major

issues. We knew that my credit score wasn't high enough to be on the loan and agreed to proceed. The loan will be in my fiance's name. If we break up prior to the completion of the home what are my rights as far as my share of the deposit.

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • Potomac, MD
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Your rights need to be defined in a contract. Otherwise, both of you will have the right to pay one of my brethren and sisters lots of money to resolve it in court.

Shafeek Seddiq agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.