Washington, DC asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Real Estate Law for Virginia

Q: Visitor My fiance and I have agreed to purchase a home in an unmarried status. My credit score was low so we decided to


My fiance and I have agreed to purchase a home in an unmarried status. My credit score was low so we decided to have the loan in his name. The home won't be available until June. How can I secure myself in the event of a breakup? We both put money in on the deposit. If he decides to secure the loan and me not be in on the home once completed what are my options?

1 Lawyer Answer
Shafeek Seddiq
Shafeek Seddiq
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: I assume have have not closed on the house. If so, then part of preparing closing documents is a deed which is basically a title, a document showing ownership to the property. Make sure your name goes on this deed. A lawyer will be drafting this deed to transfer ownership from seller to purchaser. Make sure you consult with that lawyer and tell him/her about your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.