Saint Louis, MO asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Oklahoma

Q: My 16 year old son wants visitation with me and I'm not legally his father, only biological and the mother says no

I have a 16 year old son that has a different man on his birth certificate. I know he is mine but not on paper. I am regular in his life and help support him with things he needs. His mother won't let me see him all of a sudden but he wants to see me. What can we do? Can he just leave home and be with me? or do I need to dna test and fight for rights? The mother is unreasonable and refuses to talk to me. She makes my son be the middle man. She had him taken away when he was 2 yrs old. She doesn't keep adequate food in the house currently and more

1 Lawyer Answer
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: I think your best bet is going to be to get the child's mother to agree to visitation. There is a very limited time window to challenge paternity, typically no more than two years. You can meet with an attorney for a consultation to discuss the specific facts of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.