Chicago, IL asked in Civil Litigation and Collections for Illinois

Q: Received a summons. However, I'm unemployed and can't afford to pay debt and court fees. Do I have to appear in court?

A collection group had a officer come to my door and serve me a alias summons (did not sign for it though) for a charged off credit card debt. I've been out of work for a long time and have simply run out of money (getting help from family and friends). Since I can't afford to pay the debt, and for that matter, pay any court fees, what will happen if I do not appear on the court date to file an appearance?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Shipley
Robert Shipley
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You should not ignore the summons, because if you do not appear, a judgment can be entered against you. If you are unemployed you may qualify for free legal services. You should contact Legal Aid Chicago, (312) 341-1070 or Chicago Volunteer Legal Services, 312-332-1624. Both are located in downtown Chicago.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.