Tucson, AZ asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Tax Law for Arizona

Q: If the mother of 4 had custody of the children all year and the Ex-spouse claimed them all on his taxes and he missed

child support payments what could happen to this personnel, is there anything the mother can do in her part please help.

1 Lawyer Answer

A: If you signed an 8332 you would file a contempt action in domestic court. You'd need to discuss that with a local attorney that knows AZ domestic law. I do not.

If not file by mail and claim them. You'll both get a letter from the IRS requesting documentation for the deduction. Send in the parenting plan showing you are the custodial parent under IRS ruled, not your state rules, and the IRS will allow you to claim them. Ex-spouse will be denied the deductions.

May not be a bad idea to let Ex-spouse know that that's an option for you and give them a chance to catch up on their payments.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.