Massillon, OH asked in Criminal Law and Employment Law for Ohio

Q: Can I get a job in law enforcement with a felony

I was charged with a non violent third degree felony and was told I could get it expunged but looked now. It doesn’t look like I can anymore and so I was looking into jobs in the criminal justice field and I know it would be very hard but I wanted to know if I would need to have the charge expunged to have any chance of getting the job and also if I would need my charge expunged to restore my firearms rights.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Most F3 offenses can be sealed. What were you convicted of?

As for law enforcement jobs, it could be tough. First, they can see a sealed record during their hiring process so it would still be an issue. Second, depending on the offense, and other factors, you may not be able to restore your firearms rights.

Ohio law prohibits those convicted of felony offenses of violence and/or felony drug offenses from possessing firearms. Federal law prohibits those convicted of an offense punishable by more than one year in prison and those convicted of misdemeanor offenses of violence. F3s are punishable by more than one year.

Sealing the records does not restore 2nd Amendment rights. There is a separate process for that under Ohio law. The catch is, it only works if the offense is one that creates an Ohio law disability. If it was not an offense of violence or a drug offense, then there is no Ohio law disability and therefore no Ohio law relief.

If there is only the federal disability then there is no effective way to seek relief. The ATF has an application process but has never been allocated any money in the budget for processing such applications.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.