Gainesville, VA asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Virginia

Q: Can I move out on probation if I’m considered ‘low-risk’ at 18?

(I’m on juvenile probation) I need to move out of an emotionally, verbally (and previously physically) abusive household with my mother, but I am on probation, my documents all say I am low risk, I only need to be seen once a month, but I’m not entire sure what that means. I just need to get out of my current household because I know that I cannot get better while being abused, my offense was a shoplifting misdemeanour & I genuinely want to get better and complete probation, but I don’t feel that I can grow in my current living situation. I have a few places I could go, none family, but good, safe households with healthy support and care, but it’d also be nice to just be able to move out with people closer to my age who are also responsible adults aged between 23-26, but I’m not sure how to bring this up to my probation officer without her contacting my mother, which would lead to a whole outburst, also would being on non-reporting probation change things? thanks for all responses.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Joseph Dischley
David Joseph Dischley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Manassas, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Assuming you are 18 years old and on adult probation, the probation officer shouldn't have to contact your mother. Provided you are not ordered to remain in your current residence, talking through this issue with the Probation Officer should result in you being able to move provided it is in the same jurisdiction and you are not moving out of state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.