Draper, UT asked in Estate Planning, Divorce, Real Estate Law and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Utah

Q: How to protect home in the event of future disputes. As always, things are well between us. But thinking forward.

I am purchasing a home and have the mortgage, and purchase contract under only my name. I have been in a relationship for 11 years with the same women - she is contributing 5% towards our 15% down-payment.10% coming from me. All mortgage payments made will come from a bank account solely under my name. If in the event I do have her added to title, being we are not married - how can I protect myself in the future from lets say, we part ways, or dispute and sell the home. Is there anyway to cover myself, and have an agreement that she would only be due/owed a portion relative to her initial investment (of that 5%)?

**To Clarify - we are NOT married. Have been living together for last 7 years and have no children.

Memorandum of understanding doesn't seem to be sufficient - would a prenuptial agreement be my option? Willing to hire somebody if they would be able to assist and protect my future asset.

Thank you in advance!!

2 Lawyer Answers
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: This calls for a tenancy in common agreement. A good real estate attorney can help you with this.

1 user found this answer helpful

Sharon M. Siegel
Sharon M. Siegel
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: As her name is not on the title of the deed, she will not be a record owner. There a few ways of handling this, but I suggest a gifting or loan agreement since she is really not getting anything for her 5% of the deposit that is recorded.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.