Los Angeles, CA asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: How can one get out of the lease without making the other partner go trough all the financial screenings again?

Me and My Soon to be Ex-partner leaded this place, and now he wants to end the lease on his Part. We brought it up to the landlord and they said if he moves out I need to re-apply for the financial screening, the problem is his income is what helped us get this apartment, I have a way less income than he does but I with my income I Can afford the apto on my own, but if I have to go trough another screening I won’t pass, due to my source of income. We were never late. And I want to keep the apto. Independent of him. Is there a way to just take him out of the lease, and keep the lease myself, and maybe in the future add a roommate??!!

1 Lawyer Answer
John Francis Nicholson
John Francis Nicholson
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Woodland Hills, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you both signed the lease then you have joint and several liability - meaning that each of you individually is liable for the rent. Providing the rent is paid each month the landlord has no power to declare a lease void, or require the remaining tenant to meet certain financial requirements. Read your lease carefully as there may be a weird provision that addresses your situation, but I doubt it.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.