Woonsocket, RI asked in Tax Law for Rhode Island

Q: Young bro lives with me for 1 yr. Mom hasn’t bothered w/us until she found out i claimed him. Can i get in trouble?

Financially taken care of him for 2 years but he has lived with me for 1 year. Mom never calls to check on him. Everyone knows he lives with me. She does not work. I thought it was only right for me to claim him on taxes since i care for him.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: Look at the following two tables (I have provided the links) to see if you were allowed to take your brother as a qualifying relative.



If you are still unsure after looking at the tables you should consult with an attorney or accountant.

Neville Bedford agrees with this answer

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/whom-may-i-claim-as-a-dependent should help you understand our tax code a little better.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.