Abingdon, MD asked in Environmental, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Maryland

Q: I live in Maryland and have a cement alley that is not maintained by the city. Water leaks into my house; Can I sue?

Hello –

I have water leaking into my city basement home. I have done numerous repairs and attempts to lead the water away from my home but realize that I cannot control this without the city properly maintaining their alley. The cement alley has numerous cracks throughout and has an old drainage pipe that is broken and no longer works. All storm water and sump pumps from the surrounding homes lead to my home and get into the basement. I have asked for help over the years and the city did replace a 4 foot by 4-foot cement pad, years ago, but the problem has returned. The cement pad has cracks again and the entire alley needs to be maintained to avoid water coming into my home. I have asked for help numerous times but have been denied. This has led to me delaying renting my home and now, I am unable to rent the property after May 1st, 2020. I have and will be losing a lot of income and the city will not help me. I need to know my legal rights and what I can do, thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Potomac, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You need to start with a title search to determine whether the alley is owned by the city or whether the city merely has an easement to it. You then need to determine who has the duty to maintain, and whether you have the right to make the repair yourself. If the responsibility belongs to the city, and it's failure to maintain is creating a nuisance on your property, you may have a cause of action, but skillful negotiation using a lawyer will likely be helpful.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.