Phoenix, AZ asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona

Q: Got the final bill from our last apartment complex, they charged us for far more than we expected. What can we do?

Our last complex is charging us for a few additional things then expected. Most notably new carpets with pet sealant when only one needed to be replaced as it became loose after water heater issues last year. And for resealing the bathtubs (2) when I had been told in roughly Dec 2017 that wasn't a service available to us. the one tub really needed it and we had to use it in that condition for the 2 years we were there. What can we do, can we counter or anything?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You have the right to negotiate with your landlord to see if you can obtain a better result. If negotiation is unsuccessful you have the right to take the matter to court and ask a judge or hearing officer to decide the issue. But you need to be aware that, if you choose to go to court, it is likely that your landlord will be represented by an attorney. If you lose the case, it is possible that the judge will be asked to make an award of attorneys fees against you. Going to court is a serious matter and there can be unintended consequences.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.