Carlisle, PA asked in Car Accidents for Pennsylvania

Q: I’m in Pa. Do I sue the person reliable for the accident or their insurance company?

My son was in a car accident on 3-26-20. It was not his fault. The money the insurance is giving him for his totaled truck isn’t anywhere to put him back in the position before he was in the accident. He is 18 and works as a residential carpenter. He needs a truck. He had an antique truck he bought at a great deal it was in mint condition. I know insurance doesn’t pay sentimental value or anything such as that. But, he only had this truck for barely a month before the accident occurred. The money the insurance wants to give him is no where near enough money to buy a reliable and decent truck for his work. They did give him a rental for these past three weeks to use. But they just gave us the amount they are ready to pay last evening and want us to make a decision by Friday otherwise they close the case n he gets nothing.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: The insurance company is not generally sued. The defendant, upon being sued, presents papers to their insurance company. This is not an uncommon situation, where the total loss declaration could overrule the possibility of repair (this is governed by state law - a Pennsylvania attorney could advise on that, but the post remained open for two weeks). The decision is yours to make, but if you accept the figure, they will likely require a release. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.