Cleveland, OH asked in Criminal Law, Business Law and Civil Litigation for Ohio

Q: How to fire a rouge board member completely?

In accordance with our Bylaws, we have fired two board members, we have followed all the procedures as explained in your Constitution. However, these 2 members are being stubborn. They manage to take some of the organization’s fund and they are holding it hostage with them. For the past 9 months, they never showed up in a single meeting that they have been invited to. Even the meetings we held to fire them.

Internally, we have already filled in the vacancies and moved on however, every now and then they interrupt our business. Last time the came and stole few electronics along with DVR security cameras to hide their crimes. And changed a few locks. How can we legally stop them from interfering with our business, trespass, legally confirm their removal, and recover the funds they already stole.

Our organization is a registered non-profit “Church.” With a 501(c) (3) status

1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If they have been fired and removed then they are committing criminal trespass and you should call the police report theft and trespass.

On the civil side, if they are refusing to return property, then you can bring a cause of action against them for civil conversion, civil theft, and trespass. For conversion, if it was willful, you can be entitled to punitive damages and attorney fees.

Dimitrios Makridis agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.