Phoenix, AZ asked in Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Arizona

Q: I bought my home with a friend we are both legally the owners of the home. He does not live in this house anymore

I’m just looking for any further legal information that I could be aware of. So that he knows what’s in state for him and also for me of course.He has not paid the mortgage for about a year since he moved out he does not pay electric bills water bills or even any other home repairs that were needed. I have been doing that on my own I am not interested in moving. He clearly wants me to sell the home so that he could get some money out of it

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You and your friend remain partners in this home. He may continue to participate in any appreciation in value along with you. You can terminate the partnership by buying him out. You may need to refinance to do this. Or you can sell the home and divide the proceeds in a way fair to both of you. If you and your friend cannot agree, either of you may file a partition lawsuit and ask the Judge to appoint a special commissioner to sell the home. The Judge will also decide how the sales proceeds are to be divided.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.