Seattle, WA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for North Carolina

Q: If both of my parents are willing to emancipate me can I be emancipated in North Carolina without going through a court?

I haven’t lived with my parents in over a year. I am still in contact with my mother, but my family has been abusive my entire life, with my father being arrested for domestic violence, (my mother dropped the charges but we had a restraining order for a few months) and my mother being in a psychiatric hospital at least four times due to her bipolar disorder. I am currently valedictorian of my high school class and have always had a great relationship with teachers and academic grades. Both of my parents are willing to fill out paperwork to emancipate me, but I am struggling to find clear answers on wether or not that is possible in North Carolina.

1 Lawyer Answer
Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Short answer is: you'll need a court order. If you are almost 18 anyway, I'm not sure why you couldn't just wait until your 18th birthday to be able to make your own legal decisions. Contact an attorney to learn more about your options and the process of emancipation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.