Akron, OH asked in Consumer Law, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: The leasing office undid a signed renewal to change monthly rent amount. Is that legal?

I signed and submitted the renewal contract. A week later they undid the signed renewal and increased the rent amount. They said the amount in the contract was not correct. This seems illegal. If I wanted to void the contract a week after signing, there would be a penalty. How can they modify it if I’ve already signed the contract they provided?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If you signed the renewal first, and landlord hadn't signed the renewal, then landlord could decide not to sign it, and instead, change the rent amount and send you a revised renewal to sign. But if you and landlord both signed the renewal, and then landlord came back and changed it, then landlord has no legal basis to ask for the increased amount. If you and landlord can't work it out, and you don't pay the higher amount, then landlord could try to (wrongfully) evict you for non-payment. If that happens, then use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local real estate attorney to review the facts and contact landlord on your behalf, or attend the eviction hearing with you. But if landlord files an eviction, that is a permanent court record, even if it gets dismissed, and can make it difficult for you to rent from future landlords who check the records. So try to work it out and avoid that. Also, OH courts are currently not holding eviction hearings, so if landlord did file an eviction, it will take several weeks or months to work through the backlog of cases. So that gives you leverage to deal with landlord, because landlord can't get you out for a while.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.