Q: If a respondent objects to answering interrogatories on grounds of broad, burdensome, how can I respond to get the info?

95% of my requests were responded this way. I am pro se in arbitration in a labor case on issues of discrimination, retaliation, and constructive discharge. I have no money for an attorney.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kirk Angel
Kirk Angel
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Concord, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Send a letter to the other party's attorney telling them you need the answer within a certain period for example 10 days or two weeks of the date of your letter to them. Offer to talk about the information and why you need it. See if you can work out a deal to get all the information or your most needed if the request was to broad. If no resolution, file a motion to compel the other party to answer with the arbitrator explaining the issue and why you need the information you seek. The arbitrator should order it produced if it is not otherwise objectionable.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.