Los Angeles, CA asked in Family Law for California

Q: Can i refuse exchanges for my son's visits with his dad?

We have a court order for custody and visitation. I have full custody. Dad gets 3 visitation days. We have to communicate over the talking parents site. Dad doesn't communicate well. Especially questions i have about precautions due to the pandemic with our son going back and forth, where he takes him, who is around him, etc.

I verbally asked dad if he could cut our sons nails while he had him during his parenting time, he responded and said he'd try. He later messaged me saying he would never feel comfortable talking to me unless it was recorded. And that he would be wearing a body cam from now on at exchanges and that if I didn't want to be on camera, that i shouldn't get too close. We've both expressed our disapproval of recording each other. I told him he should get a peace officer instead.

My son is 2 so it is very unlikely that i will be sending him down the street alone to meet his dad so that i can avoid being recorded.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Peter Anderson
Stephen Peter Anderson
  • Santa Maria, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Suggest you both attend and complete the online COPE class. Be polite and discuss you will be in each other's live's FOREVER with your child, so you might as well learn to get along. Follow the Court's orders precisely. Body cam is a bad idea. Bringing someone to the exchange is also a bad idea, unless a restraining order is in place. Discuss intelligent COVID 19 restrictions.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.