Wilmington, CA asked in Estate Planning and Insurance Bad Faith for New Jersey

Q: How can person revoke POA they signed through trickery (not in native language)? They weren't told it was a POA.

2 Lawyer Answers
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: You deliver a notice to anyone who has possession of the POA and everyone who has ever been provided a copy, telling them that you have revoked it. It would be best to send it using a method that requires a signed receipt or at least has tracking, such as certified mail return receipt requested or FedEx or UPS. You might also record a notice of revocation of the POA in the local land records.

Gerald D. Siegel
Gerald D. Siegel pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Plainsboro Township, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Do a new Power of Attorney and have a paragraph put in it that it voids and replaces any previously made Power of Attorney. Serve notice on anyone who was provided with the "fraudulent" POA that it is revoked and provide them with the new one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.