Asked in Employment Law, Criminal Law and Workers' Compensation for Texas

Q: Hello, I was wondering what I could do about a labor job I did for a lady. I found her on Craigslist and my ex coworker

And I dug up dirt in one of her rental houses backyard. The original agreement was to dig up and put back the dirt for some pipes for $500. She didn’t pay us anything the day we dug it up. My then coworker was unprofessional and harassed her with phone calls to get some form of payment. We went our separate ways that day and I informed the lady I would be able to finish the job without him. She agreed. This was all through text messages. Since the day we dug the dirt up, it had rained and I had to wait over a week to hear from her to finish the job which was only to put the dirt back. She didn’t want to pay me until her fence (that I did not touch) was back up. She asked if I would put the dirt back for $100? Only the dirt back, she said, which assuming was a separate job from removing the dirt, I agreed. She still did not pay me for removing the dirt. I only receiving $100 from her by check. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: This does not sound like a criminal law question but maybe you could file a small claims lawsuit in civil court. Contact the Justice of the Peace court for the address where the work was done.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.