Ocala, FL asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Juvenile Law for Florida

Q: What would happen if I call the cops on my brother?

My brother is 16 he’ll be 17 in June but my stepdad recently went to jail for sexual assault on minors and my mother has custody of my brothers now and lives in her own place. They are still married so DCF agreed to them living with her and she’s planning on canceling all the bills for the other house. My brother did not want to move with my mom and his brothers, he stayed there. He has no mean of transportation no money and no way to get more food. But he gets aggressive and recently locked everyone else out the house. How should I go about with this? I want to call the cops because he’s just a kid. But what would happen if I did?

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: DCF has jurisdiction here; the cops can do nothing except take your brother (and you?) to DCF.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.