Chicago, IL asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Divorce and Estate Planning for Illinois

Q: My wife divorced me in secret I still have got no notice of any part of a divorce. Is this legal

2 Lawyer Answers
Daniel J. Kollias
Daniel J. Kollias pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Winfield, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If it's a secret about which you have no notice, how do you know about it? Having said that, if you truly haven't received any notice, then you can file a motion to vacate any judgment that has been entered against you. I recommend contacting a divorce lawyer who practices in the county in which the case was filed.

Cheryl Powell agrees with this answer

J. Richard Kulerski
J. Richard Kulerski
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It is not "legal" if she knew where you resided, and you can prove she knew.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.