Austin, TX asked in Tax Law and Education Law for Michigan

Q: Received a blank 1099 Q form with my name on it, signed by my deceased grandma as part of her will.

This was written back it 2017, it was withheld from me by my mother until just recently without my knowledge. I am unsure of what to do with this going forward, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: That doesn't make sense, the 1099-Q is a reporting form for a 529 or Coverdell ESA.

Was it completely blank or did it have an institution's contact information in the upper left corner? This would be a bank or other financial institution.

Distributions can be taxable if not spent on education so you may want to pull your transcript and see if someone took out money in your name.

If it's completely blank that doesn't really mean anything, you can print these forms from the IRS website.

Probably worth looking into but you'd have to provide more information that you shouldn't share on forums.

Best of luck.

Jeffrey Anton Collins agrees with this answer

Jeffrey Anton Collins
Jeffrey Anton Collins
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Naperville, IL

A: I agree with Matthew. It doesn't really make sense. You did mention that the Form 1099-Q was blank. I'm not sure what that means either.

But as with any Form 1099, if it was justly issued related to payments made to you during 2017, then simply include the taxable portion of the income on your 2017 Form 1040 return or amended Form 1040-X return. Your return preparer can do that.

If you don't know anything about the source or cause of this document, take this step:

Before you amend your taxes, call IRS general phone (800-829-1040) to find out more about this particular Form 1099. Ask whether there was related income reported to IRS. If not previously filed with IRS, this form may have simply been drafted by mistake, and could be disregarded. Buy IRS can tell you whether there is a legitimately-reported Form 1099 or any sort.

I included a link below about handling W-2 and 1099 forms that were issued incorrectly. That will help you too.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.