Portland, OR asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Oregon

Q: To force Police to provide as FOIA on a closed murder case how can i find a person to do that in Oregon

Murder 2013 solved audio and CCTV from Police is wanted

1 Lawyer Answer
Gabriel A Watson
Gabriel A Watson
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: FOIA requests can generally be made by any person to any federal agency, but requests can also be denied for any number of reasons. If you are requesting information from a local police department, this is often done using a public information request.

Unfortunately, although anyone can make a public information request, different agencies will often fail to give such requests the attention they deserve. Either the response will be delayed, lost in bureaucratic red tape, or otherwise not answered with the information being requested.

Begin by contacting the agency and requesting the information directly. Depending on the response you get or do not, you might want to contact an attorney. Although there will be costs associated with engaging an attorney--their familiarity with the process will increase the likelihood of your request receiving the attention it deserves and could very well make the difference between success and failure in terms of time and production.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.