Laurinburg, NC asked in Civil Rights, Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for North Carolina

Q: My little sister has ran away from her foster home. CPS has been at my house multiple times looking for her.

Dss will not stop coming to my house looking for my little sister. I willing let them in to look the first time after that I would not let them back in. They then took papers out on me for "contribute to del of a minor" what should I do ? No proof of anything just hearsay. Also can they involve my 1yr old ?

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: My experience with DSS workers is not good. They often seem to gleefully abuse their power based on the flimsiest of evidence or even just their own bias and prejudice. Typically speaking you should never cooperate with DSS. As to what you should do now, you could likely benefit from a consultation with a local criminal law attorney. If you can not afford an attorney, you may be eligible for either a court appointed attorney or a public defender. You should definitely not cooperate or speak to DSS now. Even if they come with a court order, you have a right to remain silent and refuse to answer any of their questions - you should exercise that right. Very often anything you say to them will be twisted into being used against you somehow or another. Your one year old likely can not speak so there really isn't anyway they could involve your one year old unless they attempt to threaten to take your child away if you refuse to cooperate. It would be illegal for them to do that without cause but I wouldn't put it past them - as they very often will just out right lie to you to get what they want. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.