Los Angeles, CA asked in Divorce for California

Q: My fiancée got divorced and he is in the Phils. He asked me to avail a copy of his divorce and I was able to do that but

When we got the decree his last name was misspelled .. what shall we do to correct this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marco Antonio Torres
Marco Antonio Torres
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It’s unclear from the post if the error is only in the judgment or an error throughout the court proceeding.

In any event, your fiancé will want to file a motion to correct the clerical error. In California he would file a Request for Order requesting correction of the misspelled name- it will have to be served on the ex-spouse too.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.