Ukiah, CA asked in Family Law for California

Q: A friend has lived with her boyfriend for about 9 years. She became handicapped and now he wants her out.

Shortly after moving in together she became ill and later had to leave employment. Prior to that she made his house a home and contributed financially. Now he wants his old life back and wants to throw her out of the house. She needs 24 hour care and does not know what her rights are.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marco Antonio Torres
Marco Antonio Torres
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: There are insufficient facts in your post. Nevertheless, If your friend is in California then she may look into the following:

1) A “Marvin” action; and

2) Putative spouse doctrine.

Finally, California does not recognize common law marriage (but does allow for divorce proceeding for common law marriages recognized by other states).

Your friends would be well served to consult with a local attorney and go through a consultation to review her best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.