Phoenix, AZ asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona

Q: My parent's passed away 27 years ago, the home was handed down to me & 2 sisters They abandoned home 20 years

They have never paid taxes for the home , my health is not that great can I give the house to my daughters , since they don't want anything to do with it , they want to sell after I die , i really dont think that's right, they have never helped me up keep it

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery

A: You cannot adversely possess against Tenants In Common, which apparently all of you are. Any owner can demand a Partition Action to sell it and divide the proceeds. You can only give your 1/3 Interest to your Daughters, and then they become Tenants In Common with your Sisters. You might wish to offer them something to sign a Quit Claim Deed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.