Morehead City, NC asked in Consumer Law, Collections and Small Claims for North Carolina

Q: A Judgement was filed against me for credit card debt how do I need to respond?

It was filed in the local District Court on May 15, 2020, the cover letter was dated May 28, 2020 and I received it Jun 1, 2020. I am a single mother basically living paycheck to paycheck. What recourse do I have and what do I need to file as a response? The judgement was filed in Onslow County however I reside in Carteret County. Does that make a difference?

1 Lawyer Answer
Paige Kurtz
Paige Kurtz
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: It sounds like you may have received a Summons and Complaint. The face of the Summons states that you have 30 days to file a response to the Complaint. You can either do that on your own or with an attorney. You can also request a 30 day extension if you need it. If you owe the debt, you might want to consider contacting the attorney and seeing if you can arrange a payment plan. Even if it is small, that is better than having a judgment on your credit. If you don't respond to the complaint, the creditor will ask the Court to enter a default judgment. Once the judgment is entered, it will be recorded in Carteret County.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.