Woodland, CA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for California

Q: I pay child support to my ex for our daughter, she has sole physical and legal custody of her. Today the judge approved

for me to have temporary custody of my daughter, pending our custody court date. My question is, do I call child support and ask them to stop payments to my ex, since my daughter is in my custody for 2 months? Our custody court date is set for August 3rd. Or do I have to allow them to keep garnishing my wages & sending my ex payment even though our daughter is no longer in her custody right now?

1 Lawyer Answer
Marco Antonio Torres
Marco Antonio Torres
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In order to stop the child support garnishment you need to file for modification of child support and it will only be modified after a court order. Any modification entered after the filing of the request for modification will be retroactive to the date of filing and you will be entitled to a credit and/or reimbursement for over-payment.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.