Long Beach, CA asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California

Q: How do I appeal a decision not to review my case by the Arizona Supreme Court?

I was found by an Administrative Law Judge of the AZ Corporate Commission to be a control person responsible for actions by others. ALL testimony was that another person was the sole control person. I never signed, nor agreed to, any operating agreement or other documents that gave me any powers. The decision was solely based upon me having a title of Executive Member. In fact, all evidence in the case showed that I did not join the company, other than as a consultant, until after the actions in question had already happened. The appeals court did not review the evidence presented about the timing of my joining the company and found for the Commission. The AZ Supreme Court has denied to review the case. How do I get someone to see that the facts have been wrongly applied and that the Commission's charges are based upon INFERENCE (which they admit)?

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles William Michaels
Charles William Michaels
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Baltimore, MD

A: First, I am not an Arizona lawyer. If the AZ appellate rules allow, perhaps you can file a motion for reconsideration to the AZ Supreme Court, asking them to take the case. Aside from that, you have one avenue for appeal left: a writ of certiorari to the US Supreme Court (very expensive and a whole new set of Rules, and the chances that the writ would be granted, statistically, are not in your favor).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.