Q: Ex friend threatening to sue for harassment, emotional distress and asked court to return belongings

An old friend of mine was staying at my apartment for about half a month. She never paid rent nor got mail at my establishment. She left belongings here after willingly leaving my home. I have not heard from her in two months. She comes to my door two months later banging and screaming threatening to break in and destroy my property.I have now been given a notice from her saying that she is filing a civil case against me. There has been no contact between me and her in the past two months. Does she have a case? I’m still in possession of her things, but don’t want to return due to her threats to me. I have not been in contact with this friend for months. Nor have I said anything about her in anyway until she showed up to my house . I also have messages of her threatening to harm me, a few days before she showed up to my house. I never responded to any of these messages she sent.

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you have any property that you know belongs to some other person the wise thing for you to do is to return the property to the owner. If you don't the owner can sue you under Florida's bailment statutes. They could also file a complaint with the local police department alleging that you stole the property. In either event you should give the property back immediately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.