Palestine, TX asked in Criminal Law, Identity Theft and Juvenile Law for Texas

Q: If I got a citation for no insurance and there’s a lot of information Incorrect do I have to Go to court

They have the wrong first name and date of birth they also put a ID number in but I told him my ID was in the car ahead of us so he never got it and I don’t live in the town I was stopped in so I gave him my family members house that I was staying at for the summer so if I don’t show up to court what will happen I am also 17 with only a permit

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Incorrect information on the face of the citation does not make it invalid but could give your attorney a starting point to argue that the office was simply wrong about [insert something the prosecution must prove to win a conviction] and although we don't have direct evidence of that, we can show that the officer was inattentive to other details that should have been easy-peasy.

If they have enough information to identify you then skipping court means a new crime of Failure to Appear along with an arrest warrant.... and remember they have the video recording from the officer's DashCam and BodyCam so that probably means they have the license plate number and the make, model, and color of your vehicle. Find a local criminal defense attorney who takes traffic ticket cases. Fighting it with an attorney now will be a lot cheaper than dealing with an arrest later.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.