Pittsburgh, PA asked in Contracts, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Ohio

Q: I signed a lease my freshman year in college. It was for my junior year. I decided I wanted to transfer, what can I do?

I paid a $700 dollar deposit but I’m not worried about that. I just don’t want to pay the price for both semesters. It was a stupid idea in the first place but I was pressured by others to sign early or else there would be very little options.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You can try to negotiate an early lease termination with the landlord. But landlord does not have to agree to that. If you don't pay the rent required, landlord can file an eviction to terminate your lease rights, and sue you for any lost rent. An eviction is a permanent court record that can make it difficult to rent from a landlord who checks. Landlord can also make an adverse entry on your credit reports, lowering your credit score, making it difficult to rent from landlords who check credit, make borrowing more expensive, and even increase your car insurance premiums. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney to review the lease and advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.