Henderson, NV asked in Estate Planning, Elder Law and Probate for Nevada

Q: My father is ill and may not live very long.

He is not lucid. Is there a way for my mother (they are married) to get durable power of attorney over him or is there another option? She is looking to refinance her home at a lower interest rate so that she can afford to stay there after he passes.

1 Lawyer Answer
Delwyn E. Webber
Delwyn E. Webber
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: Unfortunately as your father is not lucid, he cannot sign a Power of Attorney. Your mom would have to get a guardianship over him through the Court. This all takes time and expense and the Court would have to consent to refinancing the house.

After your dad passes your mom should be able to negotiate with the bank for a better interest rate, so long as she can satisfy the banks requirements.

Anthony M. Avery agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.