Katy, TX asked in Banking and Family Law for Texas

Q: My mom and dad are separated but not legally divorced. Is her personal bank account at risk if he got into a lawsuit

We all currently live in the state of Texas for now. They have a joint account and then she has a personal account with only her name on it. I am trying to figure out if he or someone else could take money from her account in this case due to a lawsuit. If so, what can we do to protect her account?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Chad Zubi
Chad Zubi
  • Kingwood, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Everything acquired during marriage, regardless of whose name is on it, is community property which is subject to a just and right division. The items that are not community property are called separate property and consist of items that are gifts, inheritances, and personal injury awards other than awards for lost wages. So in a divorce your mother’s personal account would be subject to division if it was acquired during marriage.

Rick  Davis
Rick Davis
  • Bryan, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If your mother has an account in her name only, it is doubtful that anyone else could access it without a Court order. Until and unless your parents get divorced, all of the money in any account that is solely in her name is presumed to be community property unless your parents had a prenuptial agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.