Brooklyn, NY asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: Can I file for visitation and custody arrangements before a divorce has started?

I am currently on child support in NY state and my estranged spouse and I both reside in NJ state. We have been living apart for 5 years and I am currently being denied physical access to my 11 year old child.

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The short answer is that you can file an FD complaint for visitation and have a family part judge enter an order for parenting time. But if you and she have been apart for 5 years, maybe its time to file the divorce action and then the application for parenting time as part of the divorce.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.