Dayton, OH asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Ohio

Q: My dad is charging my with false charges, CPS is getting called tomorrow, but I fear they won't listen again. Help?

My father is charging my with assault against him, for trying to defend myself against him attacking me. I have court this Wednesday. He refuses to let me get a lawyer, and I have no money to get my own. My mother did the same thing when I lived with her. She was beating me, the cops were called, and they believed her and not me. They've both called the cops and basically ruined my reputation, saying I'm a liar because I have autism. CPS has been involved with both multiple times. I only got to move out of my mother's house the night she nearly killed me. I'm worried that I'm going to have my record ruined, and have to be in jail because of their lies. I want to go to a private college for art in another state. I am 16, non-binary (AFAB), and live in Huber Heights, OH. My birthday is also this Sunday. What can I do to get the court to listen to me without a lawyer?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas P. Weiss
Nicholas P. Weiss
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You should request a public defender at your initial hearing after entering a plea of not guilty. You are entitled to representation in a criminal matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.