San Diego, CA asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for New Jersey

Q: I’m looking for a lawyer to represent me in Burlington County New Jersey for a custody/divorce MSA.

Can a judge order a show of cause restricting Interstate visitation citing imminent or irreparable harm because of covid-19?

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Given the current pandemic rules in place, the family court system is handling motion practice, case management and some forms of trials through Zoom videoconferencing, so the cost of the retention of counsel is easier since we dont have to drive back and forth to Burlington County.

Our firm does handle matters in Burlington County but historically, we have limited it to matters involving complex financial claims or custody type disputes ( since our office is located in Millburn / Short Hills). As to the issuance of an Order to Show Cause against you, whereby your spouse has filed an application with the court seeking to limit or restrict travel for your children between your home and their home, im sure the paperwork you received tells you when your opposing papers need to be filed with the court and with the other lawyer and the return date of the application.

For purposes of retaining a lawyer to respond to the OTSC, you need to move quickly and you need to look for a lawyer who is a "Certified Matrimonial Trial Lawyer by the New Jersey Supreme Court".

There are too many lawyers advertising that they handle divorce and custody matters but dont really have the proper skill-set to handle complicated family law matters or matters that may require a trial.

The certification designation means that the lawyer has a specific number of trials completed under his belt and has a specific level of family law knowledge - less than 10% of the lawyers who claim to be family law specialists are certified by the NJ court system.

This is a very serious issue and you need to move fast. This is also a setting where you need to write out a detailed response ( line by line) to the contents of the other sides claims so that when the lawyer reads the claims, he also has your responses to help him figure out how to respond.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.