Villa Park, IL asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Illinois

Q: If I get remarried to my ex does the prior divorce decree become null and void or will it go into effect if we split up?

We divorced in 2010 and he received custody of the kids. We have since gotten back together and remarried. Did the original decree become null and void when we remarried? If we get divorced again will it take effect or will a new one be in place?

1 Lawyer Answer
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You will have to file for a new divorce.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.